unlike many cave networks that are formed by the erosion of water over limestone, the cueva de los verdes (or “green caves”) in the canary islands were formed three to five thousand years ago when surface lava cooled and hardened quickly while streaming lava continued to flow underneath the petrified basaltic layer. the caves were formed over a fifty kilometre squared area of more than one hundred volcanoes, the last of which erupted almost two hundred years ago. the lava tunnels can stretch for several kilometers, with some parts dropping well below sea level and reaching temperatures of up to six hundred degrees. photos by edwin jones (more cave photos)
- push yourself to get up before the rest of the world - start with 7am, then 6am, then 5:30am. go to the nearest hill with a big coat and a scarf and watch the sun rise.
2. push yourself to fall asleep earlier - start with 11pm, then 10pm, then 9pm. wake up in the morning feeling re-energized and comfortable.
3. erase processed food from your diet. start with no lollies, chips, biscuits, then erase pasta, rice, cereal, then bread. use the rule that if a child couldn’t identify what was in it, you don’t eat it.
4. get into the habit of cooking yourself a beautiful breakfast. fry tomatoes and mushrooms in real butter and garlic, fry an egg, slice up a fresh avocado and squirt way too much lemon on it. sit and eat it and do nothing else.
5. stretch. start by reaching for the sky as hard as you can, then trying to touch your toes. roll your head. stretch your fingers. stretch everything.
6. buy a 1L water bottle. start with pushing yourself to drink the whole thing in a day, then try drinking it twice.
7. buy a beautiful diary and a beautiful black pen. write down everything you do, including dinner dates, appointments, assignments, coffees, what you need to do that day. no detail is too small.
8. strip your bed of your sheets and empty your underwear draw into the washing machine. put a massive scoop of scented fabric softener in there and wash. make your bed in full.
9. organise your room. fold all your clothes (and bag what you don’t want), clean your mirror, your laptop, vacuum the floor. light a beautiful candle.
10. have a luxurious shower with your favourite music playing. wash your hair, scrub your body, brush your teeth. lather your whole body in moisturiser, get familiar with the part between your toes, your inner thighs, the back of your neck.
11. push yourself to go for a walk. take your headphones, go to the beach and walk. smile at strangers walking the other way and be surprised how many smile back. bring your dog and observe the dog’s behaviour. realise you can learn from your dog.
12. message old friends with personal jokes. reminisce. suggest a catch up soon, even if you don’t follow through. push yourself to follow through.
14. think long and hard about what interests you. crime? sex? boarding school? long-forgotten romance etiquette? find a book about it and read it. there is a book about literally everything.
15. become the person you would ideally fall in love with. let cars merge into your lane when driving. pay double for parking tickets and leave a second one in the machine. stick your tongue out at babies. compliment people on their cute clothes. challenge yourself to not ridicule anyone for a whole day. then two. then a week. walk with a straight posture. look people in the eye. ask people about their story. talk to acquaintances so they become friends.
16. lie in the sunshine. daydream about the life you would lead if failure wasn’t a thing. open your eyes. take small steps to make it happen for you.
Sixteen Small Steps to Happiness (via esolswooonn)
Fucking love this
Fashion! Put It All on Me ➝ Tony Ward s/s 2014
i want a good omens movie but it has to be perfect and it won’t be therefore i do not want a good omens movie
The Good Omens movie is announced.
Neil Gaiman publicly states his approval with every aspect of the movie, and stresses how true it is to the book, how thoroughly it does it justice.
So does Terry Pratchett.
It has an absolutely perfect cast.
The director is an even better choice.
All promotional material looks wonderful.
A release date is set.
The trailer is incredible.
The premiere is a very exclusive event.
All early reviews come in positive.
Fans wait patiently in giant lines for a chance to be the first into the theatre for the midnight screenings.
They file into their seats.
They wait through the previews.
"Now: Our Feature Presentation" scrolls across the screen.
The screen goes black.
The Best of Queen begins to play.
In its entirety.
In glorious surround sound.
all right here’s the best picture-nominated video I made
I can get this ridiculous thing screened at an actual hollywood film festival if it keeps getting views so please watch this thing